- Combine ½ cup of sugar, flour, and salt in top of double boiler and mix well; stir in one whole egg, three egg yolks, and milk and mix well.
- Place over boiling water stirring constantly until thickened like pudding.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Spread some pudding on bottom of 2 qt casserole dish. Spread layer of wafers, then layer of banana slices. Repeat for 3 layers.
- Use remaining 3 egg whites, ¼ cup of sugar and cream of tartar to make meringue. Spread over pudding.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown.