- Serves: 4
- 12 ounces ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped (1 large onion)
- ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook ground beef, onion, bell pepper, and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain fat.
- Stir in un-drained tomatoes, kidney beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, basil, and pepper.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
20 minutes is the minimum time for this chili to be cooked. A low simmer for an hour or more is acceptable to allow the flavors to mingle. Stir occasionally to keep from sticking.